Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I Want to Hold Your Hand

As much as I desire to learn the language here, and I am - ever so slowly- finding that the language barrier has allowed for us to communicate in different ways.   Holding hands has become a definite way of communicating for me.

Every morning when I walk to work, I always seem to run into a mother or gogo (grandma) walking their child to the crèche. When we cross paths, I watch as they take their child off of their back or let go of their tiny fingers and then I know that it is my turn. This simple action says to me “I recognize that you are a part of this community now and I trust you with my child -  the same way that I trust the people of Masealama.”
The next thing I know, the little child’s hand has slipped into mine and we are on our merry way. It is usually a silent walk with the occasional giggle and stare, but there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, hand holding. These 5 minutes fill me up and speak to me loud and clear.   I am being told… 
You are a funny looking white girl, and I trust you!”
Smiles from across the world!
   Kelly 

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  Romans15:13




1 comment: